COURSE FULL – waiting list only
An intensive 5-day course of approximately 35 hours hands-on tuition. You will be making sourdough breads & breads using both sourdough leaven plus commercial yeast. Some of the sourdough breads you will making are Artisan Bread School’s Pain de Campagne, White Sourdough, New York-style Jewish Rye Sourdough, Semolina Sourdough, Sourdough Bagel & Grissini. In addition, focaccia & ciabatta. To some breads we’ll add spice, seeds, fruit & nut, olive oil, tomatoes, grapes, or chocolate.
The course will include:
- Creating your own sourdough leaven and maintaining it
- Working with sourdough leavens, fresh yeast & an overnight sponge
- Fermentation, mixing, kneading, folding, shaping a loaf, proofing & retarding
- Temperature and humidity control
- Baking in a wood-fired oven, gas and electric ovens
- Using different flours (we will be using Italian, American and Canadian)
The fee for the 5-day course with Carl Shavitz at The Breadery at Triple Green Jade Farm includes tuition, extensive course recipes & notes, all ingredients, 2 bannetons, 2 dough scrapers, a knife to slash the dough, a digital thermometer, an embroidered Artisan Bread School apron, 2 lunches & 5 evening meals. You also take home the sourdough leaven you will have created, as well as any other leavens we will have been working with.
Baking will be done in both a wood-fired and conventional electric oven.
There are only five places available on this course.