An intensive 5-day course of approximately 35 hours hands-on tuition. You will be making sourdough breads, breads using both sourdough leaven plus commercial yeast, as well as fully yeasted breads. Some of the sourdough breads you will making are Sourdough: King of Bread (100% hydration leaven), Artisan Bread School’s original sourdough bread (56.3% hydration leaven), New York-style Jewish Rye Sourdough (100% hydration rye leaven), Semolina Sourdough (100% hydration leaven) and Bagel (100% hydration leaven) focaccia (100% hydration leaven), ciabatta & grissini. Breads with spice, seeds, fruit & nut, olive oil, tomatoes, grapes, chocolate and absolutely plain.
The course will include:
- Creating your own sourdough leaven and maintaining it
- Working with sourdough leavens, fresh yeast & an overnight sponge
- Fermentation, mixing, kneading, folding, shaping a loaf, proofing & retarding
- Temperature and humidity control
- Baking in a wood-fired oven, gas and electric ovens
- Using different flours (we will be using Italian, American and Canadian)
The fee for the 5-day course with Carl Shavitz at Stone Turtle Baking & Cookery School in Lynam, Maine includes tuition, extensive course recipes & notes, all ingredients, 2 bannetons, 2 dough scrapers, a knife to slash the dough, a digital thermometer, an embroidered Artisan Bread School apron, & lunch for 5 days. You also take home the sourdough leaven you will have created, as well as any other leavens we will have been working with.
Baking will be done in both a Panyol wood-fired oven and conventional gas and electric ovens.
Participants will receive a certificate to confirm that they have successfully completed the Artisan Bread School five-day course.