We have been running our 5-day courses in Italy since 2007 and this is our ninth year at Fattoria degli Usignoli.
You will be making sourdough breads, breads using both sourdough leaven plus commercial yeast, as well as fully yeasted breads. Some of the sourdough breads you will making are Sourdough: King of Bread (100% hydration leaven), Artisan Bread School’s original sourdough bread (56.3% hydration leaven), New York-style Jewish Rye Sourdough (100% hydration rye leaven), Semolina Sourdough (100% hydration leaven) and Bagel (100% hydration leaven) focaccia (100% hydration leaven), ciabatta & grissini. Breads with spice, seeds, fruit & nut, olive oil, tomatoes, grapes, chocolate and absolutely plain.
The course will include:
- Creating your own sourdough leaven and maintaining it
- Working with sourdough leavens, fresh yeast & an overnight sponge
- Fermentation, mixing, kneading, folding, shaping a loaf, proofing & retarding
- Temperature and humidity control
- Baking in a wood-fired oven, gas and electric ovens
- Using different flours (we will be using Italian, American and Canadian)
- The world of olive oil
The fee for the course at Fattoria degli Usignoli includes 5-days tuition, extensive course recipes and notes, all ingredients, 2 bannetons, 2 dough scrapers, a grignette to slash the dough, a digital thermometer, an embroidered Artisan Bread School apron, 5-nights accommodation as well as breakfast, lunch & dinner. In addition, the best bread knife we know (limited to one knife per person or couple). You also take home the sourdough leaven you will have created, as well as any other leavens we will have been working with.