The course includes:
- Creating and maintaining your own sourdough leavens
- Working with sourdough leaven, fresh yeast as well as an overnight sponge
- Fermentation, mixing, kneading, folding, shaping a loaf, proofing & retarding
- Temperature and humidity control
- Baking in a wood-fired oven and an electric convection oven
- Difference in flours
- The world of olive oil
We will be making 100% sourdough loaves, breads using both sourdough and fresh yeast, as well as fully yeasted breads. You will make focaccia, ciabatta, grissini & bagel. Breads with; spice, seeds, fruit & nut, olive oil, chocolate, tomatoes or absolutely plain.
The fee includes 5-days tuition, extensive course notes and recipes, all ingredients, 2 bannetons, 2 dough scrapers, a knife to slash the dough, a digital thermometer, an Artisan Bread School apron, 5-nights accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner. You also take home the sourdough leaven you will have created, as well as any other leavens we have been working with.
Participants should arrive Sunday 11 October 2015, in time to settle into their rooms, have a look around before joining everyone for a welcoming drink, followed by the evening meal. Departure is after the last class on the Friday.
Students are welcome to bring partners and other non-participants. Prices on application to the Director of Artisan Bread School.