Artisan Bread School
returns to Seraphina’s Oven
An intensive 5-day course of approximately 35 hours hands-on tuition. You will be making sourdough breads as well as breads using both sourdough leaven and commercial yeast. Breads include Artisan Bread School’s original sourdough Pain de Campagne (56.3% hydration leaven using 3 different flours), a white Sourdough (100% hydration leaven), New York-style Jewish Rye Sourdough (100% hydration rye leaven), Italian Semolina Sourdough (100% hydration white leaven), and New York-style Sourdough Bagel (100% hydration white leaven) focaccia (100% hydration white leaven), ciabatta & grissini. Some breads will have spice, seeds, fruit & nut, olive oil, tomatoes, grapes,or chocolate.
The course will include:
- Creating your own sourdough leaven and maintaining it
- Working with sourdough leavens, fresh yeast & an overnight sponge
- Fermentation, mixing, kneading, folding, shaping a loaf, proofing & retarding
- Temperature and humidity control
- Baking in a wood-fired oven, gas and electric ovens
- Using different flours (we will be using Italian, American and Canadian)
The fee for the 5-day course with Carl Shavitz at Seraphina’s Oven includes tuition, extensive course recipes & notes, all ingredients, 2 bannetons, 2 dough scrapers, a knife to slash the dough, a digital thermometer and an embroidered Artisan Bread School apron. You also take home the sourdough leaven you will have created, as well as any other leavens we will have been working with.
Baking will be done in both a wood-fired and conventional electric oven.
Participants will receive a certificate to confirm that they have successfully completed the Artisan Bread School five-day course.